7 reasons why you should be looking at OnBase
Across organizations, one thing is clear – technology is not what drives a business, people do. Technology offers a platform through which people can communicate and collaborate on processes. Leveraging technology that is designed to cater to solving real problems that employees face is a key-value differentiator in the enterprise environment. In no area of the enterprise is this more apparent than in document management software.
OnBase is a single enterprise information platform designed to manage content, business processes, and case information unique to an organization. A market leader in Enterprise Content Management and Content Services, OnBase has helped transform thousands of organizations worldwide and across multiple industries, including healthcare, governments, financial services, manufacturing, insurance, higher education, and others by centralizing information and automating business processes.
Organizations that have taken a step towards employing OnBase as their go-to document management software have demonstrated a significant increase in productivity, reduction in operational costs, and improved visibility across departments. Coming to the crux of this blog, here are seven reasons why your organization should leverage OnBase to make smarter and more informed decisions:
One – Document imaging and scanning
The OnBase document capture software works with almost any scanning device, from the all-in-one printer devices suitable for scanning single pages to production scanners capable of imaging thousands of pages per hour. It should be noted that OnBase solutions go beyond paper and extends to electronic content as well. Electronic business information is often scattered across file shares, email inboxes, Microsoft SharePoint sites, fax servers, and other business systems. With the OnBase Document capturing software, organizations can manage all related documents together in one system.
OnBase has a variety of scanning solutions designed to meet your requirements for any location. Some of the solutions are:
- High-volume batch scanning– Used to capture hundreds or thousands of documents daily at remote offices and centralized locations.
- Low-volume and ad-hoc scanning – Scan documents as they come, using the devices most convenient for the end-users and the organization.
- Automated data capture– Minimize manual data entry using technologies like Optical Character Recognition (OCR), Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR), and barcodes. Brainware by Hyland also provides intelligent classification and extraction capabilities for both structured and semi-structured documents.
- Email and fax server Integration – OnBase automatically captures, classifies, and stores emails and attachments sent to centralized addresses. These emails can trigger business processes, eliminating costly delays and improving customer satisfaction. By integrating with popular fax servers, OnBase eliminates the need to print faxes and captures them electronically, making them instantly available to appropriate personnel.
- File shares for FTP sites and SharePoint sites– OnBase provides several tools to easily import large volumes of documents stored on network drives or FTP sites by using existing text and XML data for identification. Integrations with SharePoint allow documents to be manually or automatically archived into OnBase.
- “Print” to OnBase – With OnBase, there is no need to print documents so that they can be scanned. Using a virtual print driver, content found in websites or other business applications is converted to image format, stored in OnBase, and instantly associated with the related information.
Two – Enterprise document management
With an Enterprise Document Management system in place, organizations enjoy the long-lasting benefits of having all their documents and information captured and stored in one place. These benefits include tools that increase efficiency, including:
- Revisions made easy – With this feature, developers can track every modification made to documents with a permanent revision history. Users are allowed access only to the most current versions of documents.
- Simplifying access to documents and information – One of the primary benefits of an electronic document management system is the ability to find the exact documents right when you need them. OnBase provides many options to locate the documents quickly and easily, through:
- Specific index values like name and account number.
- Index value ranges, such as all invoices between $500 and $1,000.
- Dates or date ranges.
- Electronic filing cabinets and folders.
- Full-text search of all documents, such as PDFs, emails, OnBase e-forms, and Microsoft Office and text documents.
- Ensuring follow-through on required reading and training – This feature makes mandated literature easy to keep track of. Most organizations have documents that employees are mandated to read and acknowledge (could be an employee handbook, HR policies, or training). While there are many ways to distribute documents to employees, often these require a lot of manual work to track and update. With OnBase enterprise document management capabilities, you can assign the right documents to the right employees through automation and easily track and prove employee acknowledgments for regulatory compliance audits.
Three – Business processes automation
OnBase offers solutions that automate repetitive tasks to free up employee time for higher-value tasks while ensuring documents and meaningful exemptions are delivered to the right people at the right time. Manual, paper-based tasks that slow down work are now eliminated, and the OnBase solution undertakes the following activities: Routing of documents and exceptions to the right people automatically, management of complex approval processes, identification, and verification of documents, etc. These processes can be optimized by leveraging the native workflow engine and Business Process Management (BPM) tools that OnBase provides.
Four – Electronic signature solution
Organizations using OnBase can use electronic signatures to provide all the legal authority of “wet ink” without the cumbersome and time-consuming tasks of printing, faxing, mailing, and manually validating signed papers. OnBase provides multiple options for electronically signing documents: capturing and applying handwritten signatures with a stylus or tablet, using digital certificates to ensure authenticity and integrity, or integrating with DocuSign.
The OnBase electronic signature solution gives organizations a fully automated solution that speeds the signing process and securely routes documents to the proper recipients. The significant features of an electronic signature include:
- Secure document distribution, with options for parallel or sequential signing.
- Access via any valid email address and internet connection.
- Protected delivery via a secure HTTP connection.
- Automatic notification for instant and proactive visibility into electronic signatures Identity verification status with knowledge-based authentication.
- Complete audit history for review or archiving.
- Data field validation.
- Flexible hardware options for electronic signatures.
Five – Document generation and distribution
To make document generation and distribution as simple as possible for your organization, OnBase provides document composition, image statements, and CD/DVD/Blu-ray publishing. Document composition helps to automatically generate documents using existing system data, document fragments, and user input to compose a document. This feature also standardizes the creation and completion of forms by making them digital images – eliminating process delays attributed to incomplete forms.
With the Image statements feature, multiple documents are consolidated into a single, image document which can be distributed as a PDF. This improves customer service by minimizing billing disputes and decreasing turnaround time for customer inquiries.
CD/DVD/Blu-ray publishing facilitates content sharing with other organizations by simplifying the location and packaging of document sets for easy distribution. This solution provides recipients with their specific documents in a self-contained OnBase viewing system, all on a single CD/DVD/Blu-ray.
Six – Records management
OnBase minimizes risk and supports compliance by securely storing, protecting and destroying information under compliance and regulation. By consolidating all the important content into one system. Using OnBase for records management, you can:
- Improve consistency and precision by automating manual tasks like creating new records and checking records for completeness.
- Enable complete lifecycle management from document creation to declaration through final disposition.
- Ensure timely disposal of qualified records automatically or after required approval.
Seven – Integrate with any application
OnBase integrates with over 500 applications via a variety of integration options, allowing organizations to focus on improving business processes rather than custom coding. Composing documents, filling out forms, triggering business workflows from another application or launching processes can be done across platforms. This ensures that users are empowered to make critical business decisions faster with the most up-to-date information.
By focusing on how users will interact with technology, OnBase is changing the nature of enterprise document management. At Opteamix, we have years of experience developing and deploying innovative document management solutions for enterprises and institutions. Talk to us today and let us help you build a solid foundation for your organization through a customized Enterprise Content Management Solution.
Talk to us for a quick assessment